P.S.1 (now MoMA PS1) was founded in 1971 as the Institute for Art and Urban Resources, an organization with the mission of turning abandoned, underutilized buildings in New York City into artist studios and exhibition spaces. In 1976, the center opened in a Romanesque Revival public school building dating from 1892, which originally served as the first school in Long Island City until 1963, when the First Ward school it housed was closed due to low attendance.
Christo and Jeanne-Claude, in 1976, were amoung the original board members of P.S.1. For the Wrapped Floor and Covered Windows, the artists covered the floor of the auditorium with house painters’ cotton fabric drop cloths. At the same time, Christo and Jeanne-Claude covered the inside part of the glass of all the windows with brown wrapping paper, creating a diffused honey-colored light throughout the interior.